7th Judicial District - Colorado

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do you accept fax filings?

    Yes on a limited basis. The Courts of the 7th Judicial District accept fax filings only for those items that do not require a fee. If a filing is received that requires a fee, it is not filed until the fee is received.
  • What are the fees for faxes?

    The fees are as follows: Service fee for sending or receiving; 1-10 pages is $2.00; 11-20 pages is $5.00; 21-30 pages is $10.00; above 30 pages is $10.00, plus $.75 per page for pages 31 and above. There is also a per page fee of $.75 for each page received in addition to the service charge.
  • Can I appear in Court by telephone?

    Yes, but only if approved by the court in which you are to appear.
  • Can I speak with the Judge in my case?

    No. The judge is generally prohibited by the Code of Judicial Conduct from talking to one party without all other parties being present. If you are calling to find out what date your case is set or to get a setting, you can talk to a clerk. Other case information can be obtained from the clerk also.
  • How do I collect my judgment?

    The clerks cannot tell you how you should collect a judgment in your specific case. They can provide in some cases, forms that will provide you the methods available. They cannot help you fill out the paper work. You may obtain these brochures at the clerk's office at no charge.
  • Is my child support check in?

    Each payee is required to have self-addressed stamped envelopes available so any check that is received can be mailed immediately. Normally, a check received will be turned around in 48-72 hours or less. Beginning in March 2000, support checks are to be mailed through the Family Support Registry at the Department of Human Services and the Court will no longer receive such payments for most cases. The in-state toll free number is (800) 364-6558. Out-of-state number (not toll free) is (303) 299-9123.
  • How long will my civil case take?

    There is really no way to give an absolute answer to how long a case may take. Generally, civil cases filed in the County Court are completed within six months. Cases filed in the District Court are generally completed within 15 months. Each case is unique and is handled by the court individually. The time required to complete a case depends greatly on the complexity of the matter, how many parties may be involved and whether the case requires a trial to court or a jury trial. It is the goal of our courts to resolve matters as quickly and fairly as possible.
  • Can I get a court order today?

    Probably not. The court is required to allow all parties to a matter time to respond to any filing that would provide for a court order. All parties to a matter must be served with the filing and will have a set number of days to respond to the request. It will generally be three to four weeks after a motion is filed before the judge considers the motion because those parties opposing the motion have a right to respond. If a hearing is required, then a longer time may be required to have an order entered. An exception to this would be for Temporary Restraining Orders, Temporary Injunctions or other emergency matters. They may be acted upon immediately and hearing set in the very near future to decide if they should be permanent or not.
  • Are all records open to the public?

    No. Though most files are open, some case files or parts of casefiles are not open to the public. These would include juvenile files, probation reports, some parts of criminal cases that may identify a minor who is the victim, files regarding sex offenses and other such matters. The Clerks of Court are guided by Title 24 §72, CRS and Chief Justice Directives and Chief Judge Administrative Orders.
  • Are there fees for record searches?

    Yes. If the clerk must research a matter to find what you may be looking for, there will be a $5.00 charge. This will allow the clerk to do some research into the matter and tell you how long it will take them to get the information you want. If they have to do further research or make copies, you will be charged $20.00 per hour for this activity. There is also a $.75 per page charge of any copies that are made.
  • How many points do I get for my ticket? How many do I have left?

    The courts don't assess the points nor can we tell you how many you have left. That is a function of the Department of Revenue. You should contact the Agency whenever you have questions about your driver's license, points, suspensions, etc.
  • Does the court allow the media in the courtrooms to take pictures or record hearings and trials?

    Canon 3.A(8) of the Colorado Code for Judicial Conduct in the Colorado Revised Statutes generally lays out the policy. Further, Chief Judge Administrative Order 2000-03 provides more detail for the 7th Judicial District. Any media representative desiring to attend and record any portion of any hearing must make a request in writing at least 24 hours before the hearing. It shall comply with all the requisites of Canon 3.A(8).
  • How do I appeal my case?

    This is outlined in the various rules and procedures adopted by the Supreme Court and in some statutes. The clerks cannot tell you how to appeal. They will provide brochures or other written information on the appellate fees and addresses where to send the appeal.
  • Do the courts of the Seventh Judicial District provide legal forms?

    Most courts in Colorado provide the public with a number of forms. Most are in the area of family law, but there are many others. If you are obtaining them from your local court, there may be a fee charged for those forms. However, numberous legal forms may be found at the Colorado Court's Homepage, (www.courts.state.co.us) and may be downloaded for your use. Please keep in mind that the Clerks cannot help you complete these legal forms. If you have difficulties in filling them out, you should obtain legal advice.

Back to top